The planet Mercury, the planet that rules communications, is currently transiting Pisces from March 17th, 2014 until April 7th, 2014
In Pisces, Mercury sees life more like an impressionistic painting than one done in the realistic style. Sounds, images, shapes, memory, psychic impressions, emotional tones — all these are absorbed as part of an overall perception.
Mercury in Pisces picks up on subtleties in the atmosphere that others might not pick up. Their outlook is dreamy, and often they appear tuned in to some distant message or inner vision. Mercury in Pisces has the potential to see as a mystic does, that everything has intelligence and is moving energy.
It’s a great time for surprise synchronicity or dreams of a lost love that feel real. Mercury in Pisces has a naturally artistic outlook, and is often drawn to music, theatre, visual arts, film-making or photography and is able to dwell fully in the imagination, and bring those visions to life in their work. There’s a healing aspect to what they share, and it strikes others as divinely inspired. Thus Mercury has a gentle touch socially, as well, and is often a bridge between people.
They have an innate trust and readily accept what others say, and therefore can be led astray by manipulators and con artists. Such an emotionally-driven Mercury has to guard against being pulled by the heart strings to dark places. Developing the ability to discern truth from illusion, and to add logic to decision-making is sometimes a lifelong task.
The Piscean Mentality:
In the quest to win your attention and fix it to a mindset, this is a time to be the rebel, and free your mind.
The mind is directed by the emotions in Pisces, more than by logic. This Mercury is very sensitive to the environment, and is easily jarred by loud noises and the psychic static of crowds. Their mind is the ultimate psychic sponge, which is both a gift and a challenge. They need lots of time to reflect and unwind their thoughts, and create space to ‘listen’ to their own rich inner narrative.
Famous People with Mercury in Pisces:
Mercury in Pisces has gifts to share that elevate the experience of life to something transcendent. Theirs is a vulnerably sensitive mind, one that often seeks refuge in fantasy and “checking out” somehow (like television or drugs). When lost, this Mercury struggles with fuzzy thinking, unable to handle the details of life. They gain confidence when they find creative self-expression, and release all that’s absorbed back into the world.
Mercury’s Perceptual Cuisinart
What is perception? It’s a mix of many kinds of intelligences – intuitive, imaginative, through the physical senses and some that defy labeling. And Mercury for each person, is the guide to how you know what you know.
The messenger has many forms of expression and ways of knowing, which is why life looks so different to each person. Your eye is drawn to something that others miss. Some are more logical, detached, and others have an impressionistic, artistic view. It’s why we either have a good rapport, or are on totally different wavelengths.
Mercury determines how well we synch together to synthesize ideas. Both the clashes that happen, and easy collaborations have their roots in Mercury’s styles. Mercury helps you understand these ways of seeing. Understanding these differences can minimize frustrations, when those wires are crossed.
It gives us a healthy awareness that there are many kinds of intelligence, and each one has particular gifts to share. Mercury’s mind is playing with different mediums, depending on the element, modality, and also the house in which it falls.
Same Trip, Many Experiences
On a trip to a magnificent art gallery, for example, the earthy Mercury marvels at the building’s architecture, admires the form of a painting or notices a frame askew. Air Mercury reads all the tiny placards, and is eager to share ideas about the work.
The fire Mercury moves on impulse, to the works that are inspiring to behold, and stoke something within. The water Mercury stays near what’s emotionally stirring, and is sensitive to the moods of the other patrons. Of course, we are a mix of all elements, so one museum-goer shows all these behaviors in a unique mix, perhaps with noticeable emphasis of focus.
Element and Quality/Mode
The element of Mercury is interpreted together with its quality. The fixed signs flesh things out with a sustained focus, while mutable Mercury is about sampling. You may be a catalyst for new ideas, as cardinal Mercury, while a fixed and mutable sign Mercury has gifts of refining what’s already underway.
The effect of transiting Mercury through the Zodiac signs can bring clarity or confusion; it inspires miracle breakthroughs, or swampy gassy elusive fog. Mercury’s pace quickens, or as during retrograde, is turned inward onto itself, in a more reflective state. The velocity at the time of your birth hints at whether you’re direct, or more “show, don’t tell,” when it comes to self-expression.
- When Mercury spins out on an overdose of information, it crowds out the imagination, and more intuitive ways of seeing.
- Mercury is both the channel and tool, so that after a show, you can share thoughts and impressions that have been brought to the surface of awareness, from your whole Self.
- When you hear the mercurial reaction of a friend to a particular movie, work of art, news event, you can then begin to “see through their eyes.”
- We understand others by sending messages via Mercury; its harmony to the main planets in a natal chart will determine how, when or even if, those messages are delivered.
- Mercury aids the Sun, as messenger, so that the essential radiating vitality of the Self, can be expressed.
- Mercury is also a receiver of impulses of both the nervous system and the mind; these are the “messages” that guide the spirit and soul (Sun-Moon).
- The alchemists saw that Mercury could bind itself to gold. In the same way, the mind (Mercury) lifts out the gold of the Self, by inspiring the quest for meaning.
- Mercury is the detached “observers mind” that allows us to see life from a higher perspective.
- Mercury in fire signs is instinctive, inflamed by passions, so that what lights a fire in the mind becomes a full body experience.
- Mercury in water signs picks up emotional tones and impressions; the bridge to others comes from through their own intimate, very subjective, emotional reality.
- Mercury in air signs spins on exchange of ideas; natives are often bright-minded and curious, and sharp observers of the social parade.
- Mercury in earth signs read through the senses; natives need express what they know in a hands-on, practical way.
Modes of the Messenger
- Mercury in cardinal signs is driven to experiment, to forge ahead into new areas of understanding.
- Mercury in fixed signs is compelled to understand from every angle, and go deeply into one area of interest. Natives seek true and complete knowledge, becoming specialists in their field.
- Mercury in mutable signs is a collector of ideas, fascinations, pearls of wisdom, which are mixed and matched into mind collages. Natives have an adaptable, open mind, and allow what they learn to continually “mutate” their big picture of life.