A correctly calculated chart of the sky for the date, time and location of a person’s birth is the focal point of scientific astrology. This chart maps the life pattern of the person for whom it is calculated.
A Birth Chart (which is also known as a horoscope — NOT to be confused with Sun Sign “horoscopes” found on line or in the daily newspapers) can be calculated for things other than people. There are Birth Charts of countries, cities and the weather, for answering questions and for selecting the best time to begin new projects. All charts, of whatever nature, are calculated using precise astronomical data. In other words, they are scientifically based.
There is much beauty and profound wisdom in classical scientific astrology — beauty and wisdom based in the universal symbolism understood by the best minds throughout history.
It is not necessary to “believe” in astrology for it to work out in your life. In fact, the people who ignore it completely are the ones most likely to unconsciously follow its intrinsic patterns. Astrology does not predict exact or inevitable events — rather it indicates the kind and quantity of energy you have in your personal bank account.
Progressions tell you when your investment in past experiences is mature, and when it will be paid in full, and with interest. If you are aware of it, and have prepared to make wise use of this abundant energy, then you’re ahead of the game. If not, you may spend it in bad health, a destructive lifestyle, unwise business ventures, bad relationships, or take it out on family and friends. It makes good sense to know the odds of your life if you want to play the “game of life” successfully.
All Birth Charts are divided into segments called “Houses” and each astrological house indicates a particular department of your life experience.
- The First house maps yourself, your personality and the condition of your physical body (and its possible illnesses).
- The Second House is your possessions and your financial potentials.
- The Third House is your daily thinking pattern, your basic education and your relationship to relatives.
- The Fourth House indicates your home, family life and your relationship with your father.
- The Fifth House is love affairs, issues involving children, gambling and investing.
- The Sixth House is your working environment and relations with coworkers or employees.
- The Seventh House is marriage and other partnerships.
- The Eighth House your partner’s money (in either marriage or business), tax matters, money received from investments, or inheritances and the deeper issues of life.
- The Ninth House is activities involving travel, religion and higher education.
- The Tenth House is your career, your employment potential, your activities in the business world, your reputation and the relationship with your mother.
- The Eleventh House is your friends and associates, your activities involving clubs, etc. and your hopes, wishes and your attitude about your future.
- The Twelfth House indicates the disappointments you may experience, private matters and deeply personal concerns you don’t often discuss, as well as any time you may spend in hospitals or other places of confinement.
Since a human being (or an event) can begin at any time of the day or night, it is important to determine just what portion of the sky occupies each of the twelve Houses at the time of the birth (of the person or the event).
For this purpose astrology has devised a measuring gauge known as the ecliptic, which is the apparent path of the sun around the earth (actually the path of the earth around the sun).
The ecliptic is a broad band around the earth known as the zodiac and through which the sun, moon and planets weave a pattern unique to the particular moment of birth. There are 360 degrees in this zodiacal circle, divided into 12 signs of 30 degrees each.
The 12 signs are: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. Signs are categorized by element and quality. i.e. fire signs, air signs, earth signs and water signs; active signs, stubborn signs and adaptable signs.
ALL 12 SIGNS APPEAR SOMEWHERE IN EACH PERSON’S BIRTH CHART.
Some signs are more strongly emphasized than others in a manner unique to the particular individual. Just what signs are emphasized, to what degree and in what way, are important factors discussed in any astrological reading.
The planets indicate the active psychological urges in the unconscious mental and emotional make-up of the individual. For astrological purposes, the sun and the moon are considered “planets” even though we know that the sun is a star and the moon is a satellite of the earth. Each of the planets appear in one of the 12 signs and this is determined by the exact time and place of birth.
- The sun is your life energy and vitality, your sense of importance and the way in which you are in charge of your life.
- The moon is your mental attitude, your feelings about home and family and every day activities.
- Mercury is your mind, intellectual interests, and your ability to speak, write and express yourself.
- Venus is your emotions, your social life and artistic and cultural things.
- Mars is your nerve, courage and ability to take the initiative.
- Jupiter is your ability to be optimistic and also your wealth producing potential.
- Saturn shows how capable you are of working hard, shouldering responsibility and willingness to make the needed sacrifices to get ahead in life.
- Uranus is your sense of individual freedom.
- Neptune is your imagination and your potential psychic ability.
- Pluto is your willingness and ability to cooperate with others (or its lack) and the cooperation you are likely to receive from them in return.
The planets in each Birth Chart interact with each other in a pattern based on specific mathematical measurements known as aspects. Aspects indicate how one psychological urge is linked to another psychological urge in the particular individual’s unique make-up.
The aspects indicate connections between the various areas of life experience (shown by the Houses previously mentioned) which bring into your life particular experiences and events related to those specific areas of life.
The job of the Hermetic Astrologer is to give you very specific and detailed advice that will enable you to get the most from your personal astrological pattern, with the aim of helping you to be happier, more productive and more authentically spiritual than otherwise would be the case.
About the Author: Rev. Dr. Durocher holds degrees in Religious Science, Metaphysics and Biblical Studies, as well as a Doctorate of Divinity. He is an Astrology expert. “Dr. Russ” provides counseling services worldwide, offering clients from all walks of life, effective tools for greater happiness, success and spirituality. Visit Hermeticinsight.com for more information.
Hidden Wisdom: the History of Hermeticism
Philosophy and spiritual path of Hermetic mystic union with Christopher Warnock of Renaissance Astrology
Hermetic Gnosis: Secrets of Spiritual Hermeticism